Zoom Blog

Everything BlazeVOX

Geoffrey's Health Update


Hello, I wanted to take a few minutes of your day and explain why I have been a bit behind in my work for the past few months and thank everyone for their kind support during a very difficult time. I have been extremely sick for most of the summer but do know that after a lot of treatment I am recovering nicely and should be back to good health in September.

I have done my very best to keep this a personal event in my life, but as I move further and further into my recovery, I have been overwhelmed by work that might be completed during my recovery. It is true that I almost died in mid July from a lung abscess and that I spent ten days in our local Veterans Hospital. I was suffering from a bout of pneumonia that began being treated on May 20th. After eight weeks things did not get better, but rather my pneumonia developed into a lung abscess, which is really rare. This had my doctors rather worried when I went back to the hospital on the 16th of July. I had expected to return home again that night with a new prescription of antibiotics, but rather, I was admitted to a quarantine room for fear I had contracted TB. This was done under an abundance of caution, as my team of doctors was certain that my lung abscess had arisen from my pneumonia. After seven days in an isolation room and several tests they determined I was not contagious nor had TB, they began treatment for the abscess in my lung. I underwent a procedure that removed the abscess that was as successful as uncomfortable. I am still working on clearing the pneumonia from my lungs with very strong antibiotics, which I will be taking for another thirty days. After that I will return to the hospital for more tests to be sure that all is well and that I am a healthy Geoffrey once again Hurray.

The good news in all of this is that I am no longer a smoker. As of tomorrow, it will be four weeks tobacco free. After ten days in the hospital it was an easy thing to quit cigarettes. Now I am just adjusting to self-identifying as a non-smoker. But that will take care of itself in no time at all. Plus, I lost twenty pounds and I look quite good. My strength is returning slowly but surely, but this summer is shot for activities.

My time in the VA hospital was great, I was well cared for by a caring nursing staff and the doctors on my team made me feel comfortable and confident that they had my condition well in hand. Considering the severity of my condition, they all were caring in the right ways. And the hospital food was pleasant as well. So hurray on that, I am glad to be back at home with my cats and Donna.

I am not now ready to return to a full work schedule, but I am able to work for an hour or two a day so as to not let things go to far afield. So if you have something pressing, I can work on it, but do know that I will be working very slowly. I would greatly prefer it if we waited in

Rockets, Geoffrey 

Leave a Reply

Extra Pages

Photos on flickr